Tuesday, July 06, 2010

What Comes Out Of It

I'm almost halfway through Fern's Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and I must say I'm quite proud to accomplish a good read in such a long while. Haha.

Anyway.

Today I tried teaching a 10 year-old boy and a girl what it means to be a gentleman. It went something like this:

Me: "Why don't you help her carry her shoe bag? Be a gentleman, LEH!".

Boy: *Stares back blankly*

Girl: "Huh what gentleman. Don't want lah! You (referring to me) carry lah!"

Mission fail.

In other news, I've learnt the meaning of so near, yet so far. Another boy stays at Central Grove, just a few blocks from the Centre, but has to take the school bus to MacPherson simply because no one's at home early enough to make him dinner. Hmmm.

And above all, I've learnt that path dependency is no excuse for mediocrity.

It applies to all of us.