Sunday, December 10, 2006

Duties galore

Some of our parents're away in India now, doing the Lord's work. Sent them off with the other youths after the battalion life run @ Pasir Ris Park. Yes all sticky and sweaty... FREEDOM! Haha no lah. On the contrary, their absence means more responsibilities. As Evangelin aptly put it, it's always the eldest that does the most sai-kang. Most fortunately for me, this sai-kang is only limited to doing the laundry, basically because I'd be in camp for most of the week. So things like washing the toilets and floors etc will be left to my siblings. =D

Okay, so now we're beginning to feel the pinch. Feeling the heat of all the responsibilities that're gonna pile up. Tomorrow's the first guard we'll be performing in Amoy Quee. As prowlers/sentries and maybe Guard 3 I/C. Not assuming the commander roles yet basically because we're not familiar with the place yet. Saturday morning to afternoon'll be burnt, as we'd be going back to Khatib again to perform for some grassroots' leaders visit. Bahh. As usual, the session's meant as a show of force and to "instill confidence in the SAF" for our MPs and civilians. Then there'd be guard duty again on Saturday the 23rd of the month.

Come to think of it, I'd be burning almost every Saturday doing guard, COS or come January, because of Battleking. All the way till past Chinese New Year I think. Not counting the possible extras I may have to sign. Hah. Wah lao. Weekends are indeed precious man. Then again, I shouldn't be complaining too much, especially since some of my fellow specs'll be doing duty on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year and CNY. Sheesh. There're only 13 of us, hence explaining the many many slots we have to fill. I know it sounds corny, but power indeed comes with responsibility huh.

Can one fall twice? Is it really possible? You don't wanna upset the status quo would you? Not at the expense of a long-lasting and renewed friendship. But sometimes the emptiness and longing grows. And grows. It's kinda cyclical actually. It usually gets worse on weekends. Haha. Not much time to think about such things in camp. But things we so different when we were still in school. Hmmm.

Then again memories just keep coming back. Sometimes, it still feels like it was just yesterday that it happened. You know, some scars never heal. Never.