Paid Leave
I know I've gotta get down to settling some administrative stuff here and there. Quite a lot of things actually. But I just don't know where to start. Somehow I've reached a mental gridlock. Maybe some blogging will help get things going again. Hmmm.
The past week was crazy. You know, I said I had four duties in three days in my previous entry right? Instead, I had five duties in five days. Okay, you may say that others had had it much worse, but what can I say? I've been fortunate so far, up to now at least. Haha. And just before I could sit back, relax and enjoy the block leave that we so badly deserve, all of us have to go back to camp Monday morning for an SOC test - something that is good to have for BUC (so that the higher-ups and some regulars can all enjoy bigger bonuses and bragging rights), but not a necessary requirement for the completion of your full-time NS career. What's the bloody point of leave when you can't even be left in peace to enjoy it? Isn't it an entitlement? So what if they give us off-in-lieu in place of the leave? I've got so many off days that it's impossible to clear all of them before my ORD. And besides, sudden cancellations of your leave ruin all your plans just like that. Well, what can I say, this is Our Army - The Decisive Force.
Complaints aside, Calvin's house-warming was on Saturday afternoon. Being a choirboy, it was nothing surprising for all those present to be singing Christmas carols when we arrived at his place. It was so a pleasant surprise to have Pastor Kuo Yung and Pastor Joshua sharing the gospel with the guests. Couldn't stay long though - the second last Faith Factor session for the year required our presence. Thanksgiving's just round the corner and there's still a lot of work to be done, like coming up with the guest list. And catering of food. And mobilising ushers, logistics, sound crew, worship team, decor and many more people. Which reminds me, that's something that I've gotta do!
I went through some of my old files yesterday, and came across a dusty one with Teens Ministry 2004 on one of its covers. Hoho. Remember the days when our worship consisted of transparency slides and a single pianist or guitarist? And when the committee only had six people and the ministry was only about 40-strong and hardly anyone new came each week? Yeah... I also came across a stack of printed emails. It was first initiated by Uncle Alan, who was asking for feedback for change regarding the Teens (as we were called back then).
That email sparked off a flood of feedback and opinions from people like Marianne Lee, Cheryl, Shaun Tan, Evangelin, Aunty Edwina and many others, arguing for merger between the Teens and Youth, and by the end of the year, a pioneer committee was formed for the new, enlarged Youth Ministry that was the forerunner for today's Faith Factor. Many of the committee members were involved in the EP Youth Camp and had an eye-opening experience interacting with youths from other english Presbyterian churches, especially in the area of worship. Using that experience, they expanded the worship team, started music lessons for the youths and changed the style of worship to what we know of today. Other subcommittees of the pioneer committee were given specialised roles like Welfare, Fellowship and Evangelism, each concentrating on specific roles, but working in tandem as a ministry to serve God through working and serving youths. Sure, life wasn't perfect and we had to do a lot of things by trial and error. But God's grace brought us through, and by the end of 2005, the experience gained proved to be invaluable for what lay ahead... By then, Pastor Kuo Yung came on board, and the rest as they say, is history. To God be the Glory indeed. =)
So much for history. Looking forward, I can't wait to enjoy what's left of my annual leave. That means outings, and more outings! If money permits that is. Haha. And that's besides planning for Thanksgiving, handing over of the Youth Vice-Chair and Seventeens' Group Leader roles and taking up a new portfolio in YAM for 2008. Then there's the annual Christmas shopping that includes buying for cards and presents for others, and treating myself too. Can't wait man. Haha.

<< Home