Saturday, June 07, 2008

Been to the desert on a horse with no name

Well, not exactly. And it wasn't exactly set in a pure desert climate. More like arid subtropical. So much for biomes huh.

Anyway, I'm thinking of some typical responses to use when people ask about my Dubai trip. So here goes:

"Well, it was a meaningful and memorable experience - just like BMT". Nahh.

"The weather was hot. But we were HOTTER." Sounds like a T-shirt that I have from Crescendo. Not this one.

"Well it was really hot, but more humid than I thought." True true.

"Dubai is much like Singapore. Only more Muslim and everything they have is on a much larger scale. Like the Mall of the Emirates. Like the Burj Dubai. Like The Palm Jumeirah and the Burj Al Arab. Construction is on a 24/7 basis with 5000 plus buildings being built and 25% of the world's cranes are in the emirate." Now that's an intellectual answer.

"There were so many foreigners in Dubai that one can never really tell whether you're speaking to a local or an immigrant worker." We met Chileans, Americans, Australians, Filipinos, Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Indians. Not to mention the Arabs themselves.

"Things there aren't as expensive as originally thought. You can find fast food and most other international brands at SG prices, water and groceries at Sheng Shiong prices. In fact, cab fares are even slightly cheaper, although we spent most of our dirhams on transport around the city and to neighbouring Abu Dhabi." Avoid the touts though. They charge cut-throat prices. Then there were the souveneirs. Quite okay. Reasonably priced. Got questioned over my shisa smoking pipe at Singapore customs though.

"I really enjoyed my 13-hour flight spanning three countries and two stopovers. I mean, they served like three meals and a free flow of alcohol." Naww, who am I kidding. I could have puked over this statement. The waiting and flying really took up a lot of time and tested my patience at least. Phew.

So ends Phase One of Operation Jetsetter. Next, Malacca in less than 12 hours' time!

The sun was THAT big. Really.

Not fake sand like Sentosa.

Singapore's presence in the U.A.E. But people with shorts were allowed to enter. Not even Singaporeans like us.

Not the closest shot yet. More photos to come! Hopefully, I'd get them by tomorrow. =)