Hungry
Been reading up a lot recently. Yes, especially after a hard lesson learnt on the first week of posting to the unit. Something like all the newspapers, 8 Days, TIME, Newsweek and even Singapore Tatler magazines I can lay my hands on. Well just to name a few. If this continues, I'll have a tidy amount of general knowledge to throw out by the time I ORD (which incidentally happens to be a terribly long time away). Too bad TIME and Newsweek only produces one copy per week. I can't wait for that long! Will die of boredom before then.
It's not that there's a lot of free time. Okay, maybe there are some free periods here and there, but while on duty, I guess that there's not much to do. There's no TV and no computers in the guard room. Just magazines and food. Speaking of food, it's very difficult to swallow (unlike Zoe Tay) food from the cookhouse. At least Khatib's cookhouse served fabulously nice food for lunch, as compared to what we have now. As a result of the poor quality and my spoilt tastebuds, I don't think I've been eating very well. More money also has to be spent on canteen fare, which is obviously much more palatable. And on McDonalds during guard duty. And on really good stuff when I do get the chance to book out. Like dinner yesterday. Sketches and the company was great. =)
Not to worry though, since the festive season is already here, there shouldn't be a shortage of good food. While feasting during the Christmas and Thanksgiving period is likely to be F.O.C, the desire to eat other good food is likely to burn more holes in an already holey wallet. Yes, it's time to talk about money again. Unlike most civil servants and regulars who get bonuses of up to 2.2 times their monthly salaries, NSFs like us continue to get the same amount of pay. Suddenly, becoming a teacher seems to be quite an attractive prospect. Haha.
So there goes my Christmas shopping. I'll stick with typing my letters to friends and loved ones, and maybe spending the little that I have to get some cards for MIP (More Important People). Haven't gotten to that though. Haha. Still cracking my head as to what to write and buy for them. Especially if they're guys. All the more it's more difficult.
Looks like I'm not needed as a stagehand for The Clown. Enough crew I heard. So it's either I help out in logistics (which I'm really lousy at), or stand in as a befriender for Jeffrey, with no professional training whatsoever. Anyway, the regular befrienders didn't go through any training in the first place. They were told to be "friendly". That's nice. All this is provided I can still take leave on Friday. Which again seems very unlikely. Too bad I can take Thursday off because of duty. If not, I'd have a pretty long break from the 21st all the way to next year!
Alright alright. Enough of this nonsense.

<< Home