Broke As Usual
Fruitful day I must say. Got a pair of Levi's and an Addidas Clima-Cool collared T-shirt. No, not a polo T-shirt, because Polo is a brand, and the latter was the first to "invent" the now ubiquitous collared T-shirts manufactured by just about any other clothes line all over the world. Well, at least that's what D.J told me. Hah.
The stuff at J.B's City Square's slightly cheaper than what you find here in Singapore. But only just. And it also depends on what kinda things you buy over there I guess. Anyway, we were gawking at the security guards and their shotguns. (Sorry I sounds like a sua ku, but I've not been to Malaysia since Ophir. And I didn't blog about Malaysian security guards back then.) Yeah, they have to resort to carrying shotguns in shopping centres across the Causeway. It's nothing new, just that it's sad to see the state of security over there. And it's not surprising, given the fact that our bags weren't even checked when we passed through the Malaysian checkpoint. It's either they have absolute faith in Singapore's law enforcers to be able to wipe our arms/contraband goods smuggling, or that our dear neighbours can't really be bothered. Hmmm. Thankfully, we had a thorough check when we came back over to the ICA Checkpoint in Woodlands. Gives me the assurance man. ;)
After the productive day trip behind enemy lines, I rushed down to The Cathay (again! Been to Dhoby Ghaut area for like 3 times going on 4 this week! Siao!) to catch Garfield 2 with the Sec 3 KPC Youth group. Yes unfortunately there were no other good shows with good timings. But still, all of us had a good time lah I must say, especially since this was the first group outing with everyone present (except Marianne Lee of course, who's still enjoying herself in Canada).
One side effect of all this catching up and eating and being merry, would be the sucky feeling of an empty wallet and depleted bank account. Shan't go into the elaborate accounting details, but I think I have something like $7.90 for the rest of June. No wait, until the 10th of July when my next pay cheque comes. Oh no.
Anyway, Sarah Ong and I was discussing over dinner at Kenny Rogers yesterday, about the uncannily similar characteristics of most Channel 8 shows. Most drama series would have the following:
1) The man getting slapped and walked out upon by his girlfriend/wife/fiancee for being unfaithful. Or gambling/drinking the family's fortunes away.
2) Lots of crying. And more crying. Over almost anything under the sun - infidelity included. And yes, who can forget the love triangles that Channel 8 is soo famous for. Guy A and Guy B both love Girl A, but no, Girl A plays hard to get. Then Girl B's interested in Guy A, but Guy A doesn't even notice her. Instead Girl A falls for Guy C and... Ah you get the picture lah huh.
3) Family dinner scenes at home or at some fancy restaurant like Crystal Jade, but never at coffeshops. Wonder why. It's not unique to Channel 8 though.
4) Scenes at some hospital, where someone's on his/her deathbed or down with some critical illness/injury. Usually it's one of the elders in the family, who's suffered from some heart attack because their descendants have failed to upkeep the family honour. Or someone who got knocked down by a car or mauled by some gangsters. Then the whole family would gather by the bed and cry somemore. (Remember Channel 5's most watched drama series - Growing Up? Haha...)
Yeah I know, I don't usually watch TV, let alone turn to Channel 8. But I've seen enough to be able to comment. I mean, if I'm wrong you could always let me know you know... Hah okay enough already. Two more long days to go. And a few more hours before the postings are out!

<< Home