Saturday, April 29, 2006

Blood, toil, sweat and tears

Blood, toil, sweat and tears - things we experienced over the past week I must say. Shan't say very much of what we went through, but maybe we're just a bunch a of weaklings, having not being able to tarhan all the tekan-ning and intensive physical activity, without complaining. Not to mention the accidents and huge number of recruits reporting sick and those who are sick but try to tarhan. And I guess the worse is yet to come.

Recruit life can be so monotonous and routine that it can kill your initiative and make you well, stupid. Really felt that way when I took the Psychometric test two weeks ago and during today's NTU's SCI interview. It's like, you don't really know what's going on in the outside world, even though we get two copies of TODAY newspaper every night to share among what 50 people. Like they say, once you put on your helmet, everyone can't think straight anymore. Which is partly true, especially when you're rushing from place to place and everyone keeps bumping into each other - unintentionally of course.

Then again, there's always the flip side of the coin (oh man, what a cliche). Every recruit seems to be your friend, even though they might be from different companies or even different schools or units. The first line we use whenever we meet each other outside e.g. during today's interview and test, would be like, "So which company are you from?". And we'd start comparing how many punishments we got and how much "welfare" we got etc. Quite fun lah I must say. I guess this is just part of what they call the "NS experience". Haha.

Also managed to find the motivation and discipline to wake up about 10 minutes earlier to spend some time in prayer and QT, even though it can be so difficult! Now that's what I call another positive development. Can really relate to some of the daily verses and lessons to say, trainings etc. Who else but God can give the strength and perserverance to last another physically and mentally challenging day? Thank Him for His encouragement through his Word. =)

NUS' FASS accepted me, although I didn't make it for Law School shortlisting. Oh well. So competitive. I guess my Project Work and CCA grades pulled me down. Hmmm. Now I'll wait for NTU to send me any letter before considering which school to choose. Oh and met Philemon and Charissa at SCI this morning too. What coincidences. =)

Anyway Field Camp's this Friday! Yes, even with GE 2006 next Saturday. So fast for what right. That means confinement for next weekend. =( But on the bright side, we'll most probably get our Vesak Day holiday and yet another long weekend two weeks from now. =)