Friday, April 13, 2007

Off-in-lieu

You know, for the first part of this week - for just a moment, I almost felt like I'd already ORDed. I don't know why I felt that way even though there's still ten months to go. Maybe it was the indulgence for the few days of off that I had.

Went for a shoe recee Tuesday afternoon. First time I actually asked the salepeople on what shoe type suits my flat feet. Yeah, I've got feet with low-archs, though I didn't declare it in my medical report. That explains why I can't run fast and why I get knee pains when I stand too long and why I'm bow-legged too. Too bad most brands have limited models for flat footers and one or two models with awful designs. =S Gotta get a good pair of running shoes to train for Army Half, which will be in like what, three short months' time?

Mentoring with Andrew and Calvin was fun. Not that it hasn't been all this while, especially with Calvin's KJV Bible and Andrew's sometimes weird but relevant examples and applications. This one was even better, because of the superb dinner at Raffles City's Pepper Lunch Express and supper at Cartel. Brought back all the good old memories of studying in the latter during my A Level days. Well it was indulgence as usual. Hurts the wallet but not the stomach. All mentoring sessions should be like that you know. Not just spiritual food, but food food too. Kills two birds with one stone see? Haha... Too bad it's too expensive though.

Guard duty on Wednesday ruined the ORD mood. But there wasn't anything major to report. The very next day, we started our commanders' "retreat" with soccer followed by a Canadian Pizza + KFC lunch and an marathon of briefings and discussions. Looks like we're in for a packed ten months before we get our pink I/Cs back man. No joke really. And I thought we could all relax and clear our off and leave days after our FATEP II in November. Hah. Fat hope.

Battery cohesion was the highlight of the day (or night for that matter). Free flow of Carlsberg and house pour at Shin ba (eight in Chinese) somewhere along Boat Quay. Not that I'm a great fan of Carlsberg or anything (give me Heineken anytime man), but the mixers were a tad too diluted most of the time. Hey I mean, would you really expect them to add a lot of Chivas per shot when it's free flow? Nahh. Tasted more of the green tea and Coke and Sprite more than anything else. But the atmosphere was quite fun and rowdy lah I must say.

Friday's off was wasted going all the way to Changi Naval Base and then finding out that the stores we brought weren't the ones that belonged to HQ Fleet. Yep. Then there was the spinometry test at Jurong Polyclinic and thank God I don't have asthma. =) Yeah, that sums up the week alright.

Some pictures from last night's function...

Warm welcome for our ORDed personnel.

Miss Bravo competition.

Knockout!

Yes, even Reynold who doesn't drink pretends to be drunk. Haha.

What you don't see is the aftermath. Ah-hah.