Saturday, April 21, 2007

Gearing Up

It's tough to get back into the mood of things, back into the increased tempo of preparing for operational readiness, especially after a long, long lull period. Your physical fitness takes a beating, the timings we get for our deployments are horrendously long and then there's just this feeling of dread as the days pass by.

But then again, this week was also one that saw us pushing past our previous limits. Amidst enormous sacrifices, timings were eventually met, and at least I got back into the mood for running. Now that's important. Eagerly waiting to invest in a pair of good running shoes, no doubt a pair that's suitable for my mild flat feet. With that, I'd be able to train more for IPPT, the Army Half Marathon and maybe (a BIG maybe) even the 3rd Division Heritage Trail. And who knows, with the training and the shoes, I just might be able to break the 9 minute barrier for 2.4 km. Yeah, it's difficult, especially since I've gone into my second-year of service already, but still, there's no harm trying right? Heh.

I do like to run. Okay maybe it's tough in the beginning, with lethargy and all, but with good company and once you get into the momentum of the whole thing, the feeling can be exhilarating. After yesterday's battalion outcamp run at East Coast Park, I think I'll continue running there on weekends, say after CBSI on Sundays? Once I get my shoes of course. =)

Even in tough weeks like this one, there's always the weekends to look forward to. Dinner at Manhattan Fish Market was good. Two people sharing a meal meant for three. Haha. Sumptous indeed. Finally got my replacement SIM card too, after much agony and trouble. I seriously don't know who'd wanna steal an old, dying N8250 though. Very disappointing that one of your men would do such a thing. Money wasted buying a prepaid card for the intervening time too. Ah well.

Your feedback last Sunday wasn't unexpected, yet it still hit me all the same. Why didn't the others share with us how they truly felt? After looking through all our prayer items that night, I couldn't help but feel so emotionally overwhelmed by the great need you guys all face. Of how lost and how weighed down you guys seem to be. But thanks for reminding me yesterday that it's God who eventually resolves all these issues. It's no use trying to be Superman to save the world and all its problems. You only get burnt out in the end.