Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Where Our Story Comes Alive

Last night I expected a rousing speech of some sort. Or a congratulatory message by BG Tan Yih San. But there was nothing. Not even a short After Action Review. Most visitors left by 8.45 p.m., and the universal ambassadors just changed into their smart 4 attire and went home. Okay, a bit anti-climax right.

Anyway, it's been a tiring but meaningful 5 days. Tiring to stand and walk around for some 8 hours or more a day, of having to meticulously explain the layout of the attractions and such, of having to take picture after picture after picture for members of the public. But at the same time, it was meaningful and enjoyable to see the smiles on the faces of little children, of seeing how appreciative people are when you come forward to offer help, of how they stop by to thank you on the way home, of the many retired NS men who reminisce about the days they spent at the old SAFTI and chiong-sua @ Peng Kang Hill, of the nervousness felt when being approached by pretty girls asking for directions... Haha.

Okay, so it's back to the reality of dreary old Amoy Quee Camp. Luckily I'm off today. And Friday too. Really need the break lah. =)

Anyway, here're some photographs I managed to take these in between duties during the open house.

The brand new second-hand Leopard Tank (yes what an irony)! Whose license plate number was so recently unveiled by our Second Minister for Defence, Dr. Ng Eng Hen, on Saturday, 2 September 2007.

The second darling of the Open House, The AH-64 Apache Attack Helicopter! Actually, it really belongs to the Air Force rather than the Army. But I guess they were trying to show the integrated fighting capabilities of the two arms.

Main entrance, where I spent most of my time whilst on duty.

Army Open House 2007 - Where Our Story Comes Alive!