A Series of Unrelated Events
Finally managed to edit and submit my Statement of Purpose for the PSC Scholarship Applications. Needed quite a bit of help to phrase my sentences and put in updated facts though. Not even a third of a pint of Ben & Jerry's could help jog my brain. Haven't been reading much while on leave - not even the papers, which I usually read every day without fail while in camp. Hmmm. Now what's left is the mailing of supporting documents, to be done later this morning. Or afternoon.
I don't know whether I should continue to try for other scholarships once the application exercises open in February/March. As they say, there's really no harm trying, but it can be quite a chore filling up form after form and thinking of different essays to write and what to say at interviews, and knowing full well that my pathetic grades don't stand much of a chance among most other aspirants. I'm just being realistic, really. Haha. You know, inflation refers to a general, sustained and inordinate increase in the consumer price index of an economy right? Same thing applies for results - grade inflation. Every subsequent batch produces better and better results . An 'A' grade today isn't worth as much as it used to be, say two years ago. Not to mention, I'll be competing with the hordes of Dragon Year babies who didn't make it for last year's scholarship applications too. Hmmm oh well. I'll only know the outcome in March, but I've done my work so far, and I'll leave the rest to God. =) I'd better settle this while I still can, before I start work after Chinese New Year.
Speaking of which, several companies have called me up with regards to my job applications. Looks like I'm too kiasu already. But I did indicate in my CV that I can only start work after the eighth of February, I mean, they should have read through it before calling right? Either way, it would be good to schedule a few interviews before the festive period, so my employment prospects would be more secure. Now that, is called planning ahead. =) Anyway, I'm still in a dilemma here. Not sure if I should start working immediately due to the need for income, or whether I should take a short break overseas in the region, e.g. a cruise to nowhere, Bintan, Bali or even backpacking in New South Wales as DJ suggested. Perhaps leisure can wait yes?
The visit to the Singapore Science Centre and Army Museum (ARMS) today was okay after all. I usually wouldn't go to such places no matter how near to home they may be, or even if they offered free admission. But a unit event is a unit event. Some exhibits were quite fun I must say, and the ARMS has done a very impressive job in showing how different it potrays the Army compared to how it operates in real life. It just makes you want to laugh, seriously. They did show a short clip of my gun detachment in Battleking 01/07 - with my cadets and even SSG Ong, but unfortunately, I wasn't in the picture. =(
Last night was Cindy's 21st birthday party, which was of the first few coming-of-age events to be held this year I should think. I do have a rough idea of how I'd like to spend my 21st. But first, I've gotta continue asking around for advice and tips and more importantly, start saving/earning the money needed for such an occasion. School would have started by then, so I guess there'd be more people to invite. Well, I hope. Haha.
So ends the first week of school or work for 2008, or the last week of the hols for tertiary students. I wonder how's everyone doing. Hmmm. Guess I'll be seeing some of them in a few hours' time. Till then it's time to enjoy the weekend!


<< Home