Sunday, February 03, 2008

End Times

We're down to the final three days, if you count the actual day itself. In the last days, it kinda feels like the Rapture. All law and order breaks down, the common toilet and bunk remain unwashed and uncleaned, and the garbage piles up uncollected. You can actually see maggots wiggling about. Pretty soon they'll become flies. Haha.

Still, it doesn't feel as if we're going ORD that soon. It still seems that we've got a long way to go, and this good feeling's all just a dream. Somehow it's too abrupt. I don't know. While friends in other units were clearing their off and leave days, we were stuck in camp learning things that most of us already know how to do, or things that are most probably going to be forgotten or irrelevant during our reservist, sorry I mean, Operationally-Ready days. Now that sounds more politically correct. What's really left is a final parade and de-kitting, before collecting the sacred pink card.

A lot of people seem to be shifting out of The Floravale these days. Or shifting in. The lifts are always covered in purple, cushioned mats - you know the kind that they use at mental institutions to prevent the ill from hurting themselves when they bang into walls? Yeah. Then there's the ever-present drilling and the sounds of heavy furniture being moved around. At an unearthly time of 10 a.m. when most good people will still be in bed on weekends. When will it be our turn to move out? Well, our estimates put it at around late March or early April. Yes I know, everyone's been asking about the house warming, but look, we may not have one you know? Till then, let's continue to pray that we'll find a buyer willing to put in a good price real soon okay?

Anyways, some updates. Went to surrender my PPA on Friday. Hopefully I'd get most of my money back intact. No doubt a painful lesson not to rush into things that I don't fully understand. Then there was my second job interview for the year. This time, it was at the NUS Faculty of Law at the Bukit Timah Campus. Turns out that they're offering a very interesting job, not the usual run-of-the-mill admin/data entry kinda thing that I initially expected. And it's not just the relatively good pay mind you. While I'd only know of the outcome before CNY, I'd really hope to clinch this job. Not only will it look good on your CV, but at least you'll learn something meaningful while at it. I'd disclose more about the job if I do get it. Till then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But then again, I've got the TeleCentre job waiting for me, so at least I've got something to fall back on should the unforseen happen. There's always a Plan B. =)

Saturday. Poor weather put off my swimming and running plans. Wanted to try out the Westwood Avenue-NTU route that I drew out on nikeplus.com, but there was rain. =( I've got to step up my training pretty soon, in order to prepare for Sundown. It's definitely not going to be easy, and I've gotta eat a lot more so that I won't lose so much weight again. Hmmm.

Yesterday evening saw most of 04A4 gathered at Xingle's place for her 21st. Three 21st birthday parties to attend this month alone. Even for people whom I've hardly spoken to over the years. Well I guess these events're good ways of bringing old friends together, otherwise there'd be no occasions for such gatherings. Anyway, it was nice catching up with most of the guys. It's been some time indeed. Proves that you don't need a fancy location and a lot of activity to make the event fun and memorable huh. But I'll still go ahead with booking NSRCC for mine. If it's still possible to get it for free that is. Haha.

Alright. Nothing much else to write for now. The Young Adults will be leading combined service and breakfast fellowship tomorrow. Exciting isn't it. =) Tomorrow night'll mark the last book in and stay-in for most of us. The last night. Till then, the next entry should be on this date - 060208.